[L2Ork-dev] [PD] Upcoming pd-l2ork release teaser

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 20:53:13 UTC 2013

Ok, got it up and running.  Some thoughts:

Good:
* wow, just click-dragging a single object around is _way_ faster than in an ordinary canvas window!

* nice semi-transparent scrollbars!
* it's shocking how much nicer the anti-aliased lines.
* font seems to look nicer than pd vanilla.  not sure why...
* fontsize in floating point!

* don't really understand the relationship between ptext and transformation matrix.  it looks like you
can rotate the text, but can you use the matrix to scale it, too?
* matrix stuff wrt to relative location could greatly simplify some of the c code. For example, an entire
"Put" menu array is a series of relative locations of points or path coords...

Bad:
* how do I choose between straight lines and curved?
* in the patch menu, when i move among the menu titles I get some flickering, whereas with the main pd window
menu I don't get flickering (debian wheezy amd_64)

* I get about a 25% jump when click-dragging a single [clip] continuously, compared to about 10% jump
in cpu when in pd-0.44
* it's a little strange that scrollbars inside patch look different than the normal ones.

* scrollbars seem to scroll differently if you change the font size (scrolls slower).

* Now that the scrollbars don't look two decades old, I feel like the cursor should change to a normal
arrow when they have the focus.

* If I duplicate [clip] about twenty times, dragging a selection rectangle gets sluggish and
moving all the [clip]s gets sluggish, too.  Sluggish = obvious latency, and slower than pd vanilla -0.44
which doesn't have dragging latency even with 40 [clip]s.

* tried tooltips.  Hovering over left inlet of "clip":
unknown option "-outline"
unknown option "-outline"
    while executing
"$tkcanvas itemcget [lindex $tags 0] -outline"
    (procedure "pdtk_canvas_enteritem_gettags" line 23)
    invoked from within
"pdtk_canvas_enteritem_gettags .x1e58d50.c 277 135 .x1e58d50.t1e58010i0"

Anyway, very cool so far!

-Jonathan