[L2Ork-dev] [PD] Upcoming pd-l2ork release teaser

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 17:10:29 UTC 2013

On 08/30/2013 04:53 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> Ok, got it up and running.  Some thoughts:
>
> Good:
> * wow, just click-dragging a single object around is _way_ faster than
> in an ordinary canvas window!
> * nice semi-transparent scrollbars!
> * it's shocking how much nicer the anti-aliased lines.
> * font seems to look nicer than pd vanilla.  not sure why...
> * fontsize in floating point!
> * don't really understand the relationship between ptext and
> transformation matrix.  it looks like you
> can rotate the text, but can you use the matrix to scale it, too?
> * matrix stuff wrt to relative location could greatly simplify some of
> the c code. For example, an entire
> "Put" menu array is a series of relative locations of points or path
> coords...

Thanks! :-) I will need to look into the whole matrix business.

> Bad:
> * how do I choose between straight lines and curved?

Currently there is no way to do this without editing the code (staright
lines are commented out so it should not be too difficult to expand
this). I wonder however if this is entirely necessary--03.connections.pd
example suggests this may be so but I wonder if this is because it was
originally organized to make things clear with straight lines. In other
words, I tend to think that bezier cords will work in most cases except
for those that have been explicitly designed to work with straight lines
in which case some adjustment may be necessary.
> * in the patch menu, when i move among the menu titles I get some
> flickering, whereas with the main pd window
> menu I don't get flickering (debian wheezy amd_64)
Is the menu flickering or the canvas? I am unfortunately unable to
reproduce either over here (Ubuntu amd_64). If you can send me an
example patch, that would be great.

> * I get about a 25% jump when click-dragging a single [clip]
> continuously, compared to about 10% jump
> in cpu when in pd-0.44
This is likely since new canvas draws SVG elements as opposed simple
lines, and a such can be more CPU intensive. My hope is that in the long
run we finish/implement the OpenGL backend for tkpath in which case all
this will be for the most part a non-issue.

pd-l2ork's redrawing logic is much more sophisticated than pd's.
pd-l2ork's vanilla objects and 3rd party gui objects that have been
adapted to take advantage of pd-l2ork's facilities, do not redraw unless
necessary. They are relocated using canvas's move command.

> * it's a little strange that scrollbars inside patch look different
> than the normal ones.
My hope is all scrollbars will eventually look like this :-)

> * scrollbars seem to scroll differently if you change the font size
> (scrolls slower).

I think I just noticed that myself--should be an easy fix (hopefully!) :-)
> * Now that the scrollbars don't look two decades old, I feel like the
> cursor should change to a normal
> arrow when they have the focus.
This may be a bit tricky due to the way canvas hijacks mouse events...
Let me see what I can do...

> * If I duplicate [clip] about twenty times, dragging a selection
> rectangle gets sluggish and
> moving all the [clip]s gets sluggish, too.  Sluggish = obvious
> latency, and slower than pd vanilla -0.44
> which doesn't have dragging latency even with 40 [clip]s.
This is purely CPU overhead of SVG over conventional canvas. Once we go
OpenGL route this will be seen only as a momentary dip in performance.

> * tried tooltips.  Hovering over left inlet of "clip":
> unknown option "-outline"
> unknown option "-outline"
>     while executing
> "$tkcanvas itemcget [lindex $tags 0] -outline"
>     (procedure "pdtk_canvas_enteritem_gettags" line 23)
>     invoked from within
> "pdtk_canvas_enteritem_gettags .x1e58d50.c 277 135 .x1e58d50.t1e58010i0"
This was fixed last night. Thanks for reporting it!