[L2Ork-dev] Pd-L2Ork now available on flathub

Linux ROUEN Normandie linux.rouen at free.fr
Fri Nov 3 19:58:13 EDT 2023

My understanding of Flatpak, and others like Snap and AppImage, is you
are not sharing anything between applications.
Everything is included into a simple package, the app itself and all the
necessary dependencies, working in a sandbox.

Now about the sizes, in Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon I have the following reports:
Télécharger = Download / Espace disque est exigé = Requested disk space
for installation

Reading the following is going into your direction. I need to test them.
But in such a case the "sandboxing" declaration is becoming less true as
several applications can share the same library/librairies.
Flatpak is advertised as offering a sandbox environment in which users
can run application software in isolation from the rest of the system.
Really?!?
" " " " "
Flatpak <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak> runs in a sandbox (which
provides a separate, ABI-stable version of all common system libraries),
and that means that it will always use more space on the system than
common native packages.
However, this is not a concern as Flatpak uses OSTree as its backend
which can deduplicate matching files. This means that the first install
of a Flatpak application will always take up more space at first, but
will be more efficient as the user installs more Flatpak packages.
" " " " "

MIDI Realtime and JACK are still open questions.

Joseph