[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data: Availability of Else and Cyclone libraries?

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:56:36 EST 2023

Hi Joseph.

Yes, I've been thinking about this as well. It's a substantial task,
though. With the recently released Purr Data 2.19.2, we've at long last
ported the hammereditor, but there's still the keyboard GUI in ELSE which
would have to be ported to JS. And then we'd have to see which vanilla API
changes need to be backported in order to support the latest cyclone and
ELSE.

Also, as Alexandre mentioned, it makes sense for his cyclone and ELSE to
stabilize a bit before we attempt to port them over.

Then there's the issue of backward compatibility with legacy cyclone
applications that needs some thought. Right now, people can still run many
of their old patches that they used to run with classic pd-l2ork or
pd-extended with Purr Data, and we'd like to keep it that way. I'm not sure
how compatible the latest cyclone still is with older versions. Alexandre,
you should know, maybe you can shed some light on this?

Maybe some of the tasks involved could be tackled in a future GSoC, but I
wouldn't hold my breath for it. I'm tempted to look into it at some point,
though. I've also been tossing around the idea to add another plugdata-like
type of "light" build which would include cyclone and ELSE to mirror what's
available in plugdata. That would be useful for those who might prefer Purr
for development, but would also like to be able to run their patches as
plugins via plugdata. I consider myself in that camp.

Lots of tasks for the infinite TODO list (TM). ;-)

Albert

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/