[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data: Availability of Else and Cyclone libraries?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:29:18 EST 2023

Hi there a few words as the author of ELSE and the main contributor and
maintainer (practically the only one) to Cyclone these days. ELSE is quite
unstable (yet) so it's good it never got in ;) it's now part of plugdata,
which is also unstable itself and we're working together to reach stability
this year!

 I can say I'm sorry I'm so limited in programming skills to help finish
porting cyclone and port ELSE at all to Purr Data. ELSE is in plugdata
because Timothy ported it to what he uses as the GUI so I have nothing to
do with it. Plus, he made nice contributions to ELSE, even including some
new objects.

I can't even properly code GUI objects for Pd with tcl/tk. Tim helped me
with that and recently contributed with things I was long missing in
Cyclone, like properly finishing and updating the [comment] object - I am
planning to release Cyclone 0.7 this month by the way.

One other things is that I'm always at the "bleeding edge" of Pd
development for both ELSE and Cyclone, both of which are up with Pd 0.53-1.
The first commits for multichannel support is already up for the next Pd
0.54 release and I am already using it to generate new externals for ELSE
by the way, whenever it is out I'll be releasing a huge update to ELSE with
some cool multichannel support.

I have to say Cyclone won't get too much attention and love after this next
release... it will probably go to maintenance mode only. I haven't been
able to concentrate on it quite much in the last years as I've been quite
busy with ELSE.

ELSE has alternative for all Cyclone objects I care about, by the way...
and other objects in the MAX world have been used as inspiration for ELSE
objects. Therefore, Cyclone is giving up keeping it up with MAX.

Porting/updating Cyclone is much easier, it only has 2 GUI objects and
[scope~] is kind of ported and up to date. There are other objects which
still have some tcl/tk code that need porting. The ELSE library, on the
other hand, has much more things to port in respect to the GUI and I'm
sorry I can't help, I would first like to have a reasonable and decent
knowledge on how to code GUI for tcl/tk...

Anyway, I can always use some help :)

cheers