[L2Ork-dev] Exalibur bug #2: patch loading speed

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 11:05:38 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Seemingly simple question: let's suppose you open a "monster patch"
with lots of objects, iemgui GUIs, and comments on it.

It takes substantially longer for nw.js to display the canvas than it
does for tk or tkpath to display it in Vanilla/Pd-l2ork 1.0.

Question: what is nw.js spending the bulk of its time doing when
loading the patch?

Hint-- I've tested a "monster patch" that took about 20 seconds on an
underpowered machine to display. Then I took the innerHTML of the page
and saved it as a separate web page. If I opened that as the main page
for a simple nw.js test app, it would display in less than a second.

In other words-- the problem is *not* the number of DOM elements being
displayed. Because that was exactly the same in my 1-second test app
and Purr Data's 20-second "monster patch."

My guess-- layout thrashing per DOM element being added from
backend->GUI. But I haven't measured that to be true. Worse, I tried
using requestAnimationFrame and it didn't solve the problem.


More information about the L2Ork-dev mailing list