[L2Ork-dev] snap-to-grid

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 12:53:02 EDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 11:21 AM Mario Sottile - Marionetas Mey
<mariomey at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Also, to save space, the objects that are connected with only one
> > wire, I put them toghether, like this:
> >
> > Unfortunately, that creates an ambiguity-- you can no longer tell
> > whether those objects are connected, or whether the patch author
> > forgot to make a connection.
> No, I didn't mean that objects must snap with others that they are
> connected... it was only an explanation of what I use to do. The
> suggestion was an "snap-to-object" option for a far future. Also, I
> don't know if it is a common user behavior 🤷.

I have seen patches where users stack objects like that.

It wouldn't be a problem *if* there were clear visual evidence that the
objects are indeed connected. Without the GUI offering that clear
evidence, I don't think it's a good idea. For example, if the user runs
into a really difficult bug, it requires *moving* those objects around or
clicking "Tidy up" to confirm the connections.

And I have seen stacked objects where it turned out one of the objects
wasn't connected. It is similar to perfectly horizontal wires connecting
objects-- I've seen a Pd Vanilla patch where the connection crosses
over the inlet of an object that wasn't actually connected. The curved
wires in Pd-l2ork/Purr Data help somewhat with that, but it should still
be avoided IMO.