[L2Ork-dev] CI build times

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 15:26:39 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 1:13 PM Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing that works really well, though, is building Gem in parallel which reduces build times dramatically.
> This is in the current build system, you can trigger it by invoking `make` in the toplevel source directory like
> so:

> make GEM_MAKEFLAGS=-j8

Even on my nuc with only 2 cores, setting "-j2" cuts the build time in half.

Albert-- I'm suspicious whether it's even building Gem:

https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/-/jobs/22545/raw

Where's the log of that slow, plodding libtool compilation that
usually looks like this:

make[6]: Entering directory
'/home/user/builds/jwilkes/purr-data/Gem/src/Controls'
  CXX      libControls_la-gemframebuffer.lo
  CXX      libControls_la-gemcubeframebuffer.lo
  CXX      libControls_la-gemhead.lo

Also, I see this make message:

make[6]: Entering directory '/builds/jwilkes/purr-data/Gem/src/Controls'
UNUSED SOURCES in .: libControls_la-gemhead.o
libControls_la-gemcubeframebuffer.o libControls_la-gemlist_info.o
libControls_la-gemlist_matrix.o libControls_la-gemmanager.o
libControls_la-gemreceive.o libControls_la-gemframebuffer.o
libControls_la-render_trigger.o libControls_la-gemlist.o
libControls_la-modelfiler.o

Unfortunately, I can't be sure because Gem isn't hooked up to the
external creation tests yet.

Anyhow, are you seeing build times cut in half by this optimization?