[L2Ork-dev] Register before downloading?

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:52:05 EDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:36 AM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, now I've completely reversed the problem:
>
> git.purrdata.net is completely public, but sign ups for new accounts
> have been turned off.
>
> Given that we have *way* fewer drive by merge requests than people
> downloading the software/cloning the repo, being stuck on *this*
> problem should be more tenable as we figure out what to do going
> forward.
>
> Let me know if anything else is awry and I'll revisit Gitlab's big
> collection of ambigiously labeled checkboxes.

This won't work at all-- it means nobody can sign up in order to report bugs!

Can someone think of a workaround to make our gitlab ce instance usable? I need:

1. snippets disabled, or at least not viewable without logging in
2. user profiles disabled, or at least not viewable without logging in
3. *only* git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data should be publicly
viewable without logging in. All other repos not viewable unless you
log in

That would restrict use/SEO spam to my own issue tracker (and I guess
merge requests) which is easily managed.

Can anyone think of a way to achieve this? Is there some clever custom
nginx setup to achieve this?

Unless we can solve this, there's no way to keep the repo accessible
and maintainable.

-Jonathan