[L2Ork-dev] custom GUI

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 19:51:19 UTC 2017

> Hello,

> while I'm swimming into source files to understand deeper the GUI
> mechanisms, I'm wondering if it's possible to use node plugins for
> drawing my interfaces and doing some complicated stuff like convert ttf
> to svg and vice versa...

I've never actually tried to use any packages other than the

ones that ship with Node.js. But it should be possible.

The main issue would be portability-- a lot of node.js packages

rely on native binaries. So if you wanted your custom GUI to work

with other people's instances of Purr Data, that could be an issue.

However, keep in mind that you can also leverage HTML for a GUI. That's

what I do for the dropdown object as well as the editable object box.

(Although I don't have any interface for doing custom GUIs from within

a patch.)

> Also I haven't found out how to refresh image without

> destroying/creating [draw image], this is quite useful in projects like

> the one I've submitted to pdlist that is about drawing a preview of gem

> window.

That sounds interesting.

So where does the data originate?

Of course, you could also just create an HTML5 canvas on a patch and

fill it with webgl content. :)

> It would be great if the image data could be stored/retrieved in/from

> datastructure, but I don't know yet how to do this.

How would the data be stored?