[L2Ork-dev] feature request: subpatch encapsulation

Gilberto Agostinho gilbertohasnofb at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 1 19:00:04 UTC 2015

Hi Ico, hi all,

On 01/02/15 18:40, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> Good points. I would, however, like to point that any bounty is better
> than no bounty, and as such I think even ridiculously small
> contributions would go a long way towards making things better.

You probably are right, Ico. In that case, it might really be worth to
try to implement this idea.

> Interesting. So, if we were to promise cross-platform support as part
> of the Kickstarter and a compelling list of new features, perhaps this
> might be the right approach?

That's indeed my opinion, at least. Currently, I see only two drawbacks
with Pd-l2Ork: being Linux only and having binary compatibility problems
with vanilla and extended externals.

As for the first, if you would be able to provide Windows and Mac
binaries, I bet the number of users would skyrocket. I am a moderator of
Pure Data's forum, and every time I am trying to help someone solve
their problems I post images of patches I made using Pd-l2Ork, and the
amount of people curious about it is really high. I have "converted" a
lot of Linux users, but the majority of people asking about it are
coming from other OSes.

As for the latter drawback, this lack of compatibility of externals
influences more advanced users that need to use some external libraries
than beginners that use only basic objects. I have read discussions
about it in the pd mailing list and I know (superficially) the whole
situation, but that is unfortunate a drawback... I myself would use
_only_ Pd-l2Ork if I was able to get some of my favourite libraries
running on it. Also, as far as I understand, it's possible to compile
these externals specifically for Pd-l2Ork if one has the source code and
the skills to do so (I am attempting to do this with the HOA library
myself), but that is arguably something that most people are not
comfortable with. But I think most users would not even realize this, to
be honest...

So yes, I really believe that offering Mac and Windows binaries would
make a huge difference, and I believe that this would give a Kickstarter
campaign some serious chances of succeeding. I myself would try to
promote it as much as I can.

Take care,
Gilberto