[L2Ork-dev] $0 weirdness

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 06:34:53 UTC 2015

Hi Ico,

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> Sorry it took me a while to respond--been busy with the OPERAcraft
> production.

No problem, thanks for taking the time to respond!

> I hear what you're saying but there is no easy or graceful way to fix this
> without getting into ugly string resizing business which can be rather
> messy.

That's true, but if it helps maintaining at least some kind of
interoperability with the other Pd flavors then it might be worth the
effort.

> I, however, wonder if I shouldn't simply introduce a -legacy flag and add
> this and iemgui position to a list of modifications that break backwards
> compatibility in favor of progress. This would be considerably easier to
> maintain.

I thought about that, too. Yes, that would be a viable solution.

Also, it would be nice to have a script to convert from and to the new
patch format. This would also be helpful to fix the affected abstractions
distributed with Pd-L2Ork.

Regarding supporting other platforms, Jonathan has been making major
> progress on making the new node-webkit gui version build on OSX as well as
> on Linux, so there may be more options soon.

Yes, I ran into his github repo just recently. That's a very interesting
development, looking forward to give it a try!

All,

> Please let me know what are your thoughts on the aforesaid proposed course
> of action.

I can only reiterate that this change *will* affect most Pd-L2Ork users at
some point, so I hope that others will join the discussion here.

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com