[L2Ork-dev] a couple of questions

Ivica Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Nov 12 08:29:03 UTC 2014

On Nov 12, 2014 3:20 AM, "Albert Graef" <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I tend to disagree with this mainly because prepend does not output a
genuine list, as it should but rather an "anything" which further confuses
new users. That said, I offer a compromise--I've just committed earlier
today an abstraction prepend.pd and its prepend-help.pd file as part of the
cyclone library that essentially mimics the behavior of prepend.pd but also
posts intentionally annoying warning in the console that this object is
deprecated as well as what the users should use instead (namely [list
prepend]). The help file also reflects this fact with a big red warning box
at the top of it.

> Fair enough. Thanks for the update!
>

>> Please note as we move forward we will have to prune a good number of
3rd party objects and provide some sort of an interim abstraction that
substitutes its behavior. I am also looking to consolidate all externals
into a single folder and drop the whole library_path/external_name nonsense
which makes pd 3rd party ecosystem incredibly hard to navigate--I am open
to alternative suggestions but I do want to also point out that I feel
rather strongly about this. Your help/input in this process will be most
appreciated.

> That will surely offer some opportunity for interesting discussions. ;-)
But I think that we'll be fine with it as long as there are suitable
replacements for widely used objects and a clear migration path.

> Compatibility works both ways, though. One issue to keep in mind is the
rather limited range of systems where pd-l2ork is available right now. If
you need to run your patches elsewhere (I'm thinking about OS X,
specifically) then you have to fall back to either Pd-Extended or vanilla
Pd + externals from the Pd repo. So maintaining some level of compatibility
to the other flavors is desirable in order to avoid being locked into a
single platform.

Very good point. This should get resolved once we compete port to qt at
which point things should get progressively simpler in terms of supporting
multiple platforms.

HTH