[L2Ork-dev] Big patch takes forever to load

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 18:51:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> Andras,****
>
> ** **
>
> I haven’t forgotten about your request—it is still on my TODO list. It is
> just that here at Virginia Tech we’re less than 2 weeks away from a grand
> opening of a new $100M building that will house (among other things)
> Institute I am heavily involved in.

Congrats!

>  As a result, I’ve been rather busy with other things. Rest assured, I
> will try to look into this asap. In the meantime, what would be very
> helpful is if you would please generate a list of all objects in the patch
> so that we can possibly narrow down where the problem stems from. What
> you’ve started doing (removing tof and mixed objects) is a great start. I
> have a nagging suspicion something in that patch trips up the GUI and sends
> an illegal command that makes GUI unresponsive. Finding out what that is
> will greatly help in identifying the solution. I would go as far as
> renaming the extra/ folder and seeing if that fixes things. If it does,
> then it is definitely one of the 3rd party externals.

I guess I could generate a list of objects from the source files using some
sed/awk wizardry, but unfortunately I'm not that good at it so I'll
postpone this until it eventually seems unavoidable.
I have, though, renamed the whole extra/ folder and tried to open the patch
once again. Minutes and minutes of 100% CPU (alternating between cores)
without an ending, that is the result. It seems to me I just have too many
objects for the current SVG implementation.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Once latter part of November rolls around, I should have a bit more time
> to look into this. Hope this helps!****

Thanks,

András