[L2Ork-dev] desktop/flatpak icon

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 2 04:17:48 EDT 2023

On 8/28/23 11:55, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i finally swallowed the toad and created a "Pd-vanilla" application
> available via flathub.
> while doing so, i noticed that "Purr Data" is also available on flathub
> - hooray and thanks to sam.
> (i only noticed now, as I personally do not use flatpaks).
>
> https://flathub.org/apps/net.purrdata.PurrData
>
> what i find a bit weird (and which I would like to change) is that "Purr
> Data" uses the Pd-vanilla icon.
>
> now Purr has actually a super-nice logo of its own, which i think is
> well established by now and quite distinct (meow!).
> so: is there any chance to use Purr Data's own logo instead of using the
> same logo as Pd(-vanilla)?
>
> the (technical) reason why the pd-vanilla logo is used, is that the logo
> must be available as SVG, and  the cat is currently only available as PNG.
> i think using the same logo for both Pd-vanilla and Purr Data is not
> ideal, as it is easily possible to confuse the two (either when
> installing or when starting the application from the menu).
>

> there actually is already a bug-report for this on the flatpak packaging
> repository for Purr:
>   https://github.com/flathub/net.purrdata.PurrData/issues/1
> and an accompanying mail to this list:
>   http://disis.music.vt.edu/pipermail/l2ork-dev/2019-November/002276.html
>
> to quote jonathan from that mail:
>  > What resolution do you need?
>  > It might just be worthwhile for me to make an svg of the cat.
>
> and afaict, the answer is: only an SVG is required (no other resolutions).
>

> so it would be grand if somebody with the powers could provide an SVG
> version for the logo (and add it to the repository).

ping.

pd-l2ork seems to not have any problems creating a logo that is
distinguishable from Pd-vanilla.

could I please ask the same from Purr Data?
(i'm not a visual guy myself, but my gut feeling tells me that this
isn't rocket science; if no scalable version of the the cat can be found
nor created, how about creating a logo in the current vein that just
spells "Purr Data" (or "Purr") instead of the current "Pd"?)

gmfdsf
IOhannes