[L2Ork-dev] Rename Purr Data to... Purr Data? (was: Future of Purr Data?)

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:34:23 EST 2023

Hi Alexandre,

Yes, I agree that this is confusing, and the issue has been brought up
before by Linux Rouen alias Joseph and others. On Windows the app is
already called Purr-Data, there's no reason that it couldn't/shouldn't be
called the same on the Mac, other than that from its very beginnings it's
always been called Pd-l2ork there. ;-)

Then there's the issue with the pd-l2ork preferences file on Mac which
should be renamed on our side as well, so that it doesn't conflict with
Ico's downstream. It looks like Ico already took care that his version uses
~/.pd-l2ork rather than ~/.purr-data for the config dir everywhere, so the
auxiliary config data should already be good.

That should make the two apps coexist peacefully on Mac and Windows, even
though internally they still use the same binary and directory names under
the hood. This is because on Mac and Windows the apps are contained in
their own application bundles/directories.

On Linux it's a different story, because there's no "application bundle"
there, so running make install in both variants will give lots of
conflicting files (basically everything), and that's not easy to fix in the
source because our entire build system, including the Mac and Windows
builds, assumes that layout. Touching *anything* there is a sure recipe for
disaster, so I'm not going to do it.

But there's a solution on Linux as well, which is to use my JGU packages.
These move the application into its own /opt/purr-data directory and set up
links in the /usr hierarchy using non-conflicting "purr-data" names. This
has been working nicely for a really long time now, so I'm going to keep it
this way -- never change a working system. :)

So what remains to be done on our side is to change the app name and
preferences file name on the Mac, then everything should be fine and dandy.

As luck would have it, I'm currently working on Purr 2.18.1 which so far is
a minor update (latest pd-lua 0.11.3), so I'll see what I can do there.

Albert

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/