[L2Ork-dev] desktop/flatpak icon

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 28 05:55:07 EDT 2023

hi all,

i finally swallowed the toad and created a "Pd-vanilla" application
available via flathub.
while doing so, i noticed that "Purr Data" is also available on flathub
- hooray and thanks to sam.
(i only noticed now, as I personally do not use flatpaks).

https://flathub.org/apps/net.purrdata.PurrData

what i find a bit weird (and which I would like to change) is that "Purr
Data" uses the Pd-vanilla icon.

now Purr has actually a super-nice logo of its own, which i think is
well established by now and quite distinct (meow!).
so: is there any chance to use Purr Data's own logo instead of using the
same logo as Pd(-vanilla)?

the (technical) reason why the pd-vanilla logo is used, is that the logo
must be available as SVG, and  the cat is currently only available as PNG.
i think using the same logo for both Pd-vanilla and Purr Data is not
ideal, as it is easily possible to confuse the two (either when
installing or when starting the application from the menu).

there actually is already a bug-report for this on the flatpak packaging
repository for Purr:
  https://github.com/flathub/net.purrdata.PurrData/issues/1
and an accompanying mail to this list:
  http://disis.music.vt.edu/pipermail/l2ork-dev/2019-November/002276.html

to quote jonathan from that mail:
 > What resolution do you need?
 > It might just be worthwhile for me to make an svg of the cat.

and afaict, the answer is: only an SVG is required (no other resolutions).

so it would be grand if somebody with the powers could provide an SVG
version fof the logo (and add it to the repository).

happy patching,
gfmdsar
IOhannes

PS: i tried to create an account on git.purrdata.net to report this via
a ticket, but it seems it has not yet been approved.