[L2Ork-dev] Introduction for GSOC 22 and more...

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 11:46:06 EDT 2022

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 11:01 AM Dhruvit Salat <salatd0852 at gmail.com> wrote:

> “Greetings, My name is Dhruvit Salat, a second-year computer science undergrad and I am new to open source and I see that purr data is gearing up for GSoC this year. I produce music as a hobby and I found it exciting that purr-data is used to create music. I am excited and curious to see how real time DSP works and that's why I would love to become an active contributor, with this program as my first step. Since I haven’t worked with purr-data before, I would like to get started with some simple contributions. I read the getting started guide and here are my doubts …”
>
> Under Contributor Guide I found some tasks and I'd like to work on
>
>   Adding support for double precision to the external libraries that ship with purr-data
>
> I'm Familiar with Data Types in C and So can you guide me how can I do this task as I'm new to Gitlab and this Community.

Oops, I should update that-- it was completed as part of a previous
GSoC project.

The current outstanding GSoC projects may be found on the ideas page.

> Now about GSOC, I had a look at the ideas page, and the projects that intrigues me are...
>
> "Profile Purr Data CPU Usage in Real Time"
>
> I know how CPU hungry these DSP objects are and the part where you can't identify which one is using the CPU is most frustrating. As I know how annoying it is, so I'll be working with my heart to solve it, and I'm also familiar with the tech stack required for this project.

Yes, it would be a great improvement in user experience.

> Data Over Audio Messaging
>
> I like the idea of using already connected mics and speakers to pass data messages between two instances. So If I get to work it will be my pleasure.

Yes, I think this could be a fun project. And potentially useful too,
as we could use it to transfer small amounts of data between devices.
:)

Best,
Jonathan