[L2Ork-dev] Reorganization of the JGU purr-data package repositories

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 02:58:10 EDT 2022

Hi all,

Time for some summer cleaning. :) This is for anyone using the "JGU" Linux
packages of purr-data (and classic pd-l2ork) that I maintain at the Open
Build Service (OBS).

First, no worries: The old repositories (home:aggraef and
home:aggraef:purr-data-git) aren't going anywhere, I'm keeping them around
indefinitely for people who still use these packages. That is, you can
still use these to get the 20200822.r1790 build of "classic" pd-l2ork and
the April 2021 2.17.0 release of purr-data, along with all needed
dependencies not in the official distro repositories. But note that since
some packages stopped building on the latest Debian/Ubuntu and openSUSE
versions, these repositories are mothballed now and I won't update them any
longer.

All the latest stuff can now be found in the new home:aggraef:purr-data-jgu
repositories at:
  https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:aggraef:purr-data-jgu

Quick link to the package downloads:

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Aaggraef%3Apurr-data-jgu&package=purr-data

This has all the latest changes and bugfixes (so basically it's a
replacement for the aggraef:home:purr-data-git repo), but there's one
important change: To make my job easier I dropped support for some ancient
Debian/Ubuntu versions as well as openSUSE, and now provide packages for
Fedora (35, 36, and Rawhide) instead. The rationale behind this is that the
openSUSE packages have become very difficult to maintain due to some
missing dependencies. Whereas Fedora is pretty much at the forefront right
now with its implementations of Pipewire and Wayland, while still
maintaining really good backwards compatibility in its official package
repositories.

As usual you'll find all the details in my installation guide in the wiki (
https://github.com/agraef/purr-data/wiki/Installation#linux). The GitHub
mirror page (https://agraef.github.io/purr-data/) and the "Meet the Cat"
tutorial (https://agraef.github.io/purr-data-intro/Purr-Data-Intro.html)
have been updated as well.

The TLDR: If you're happy with the current version that you're using,
there's no need to change anything. If you want the latest and greatest,
though, or if you're on Fedora, use the new home:aggraef:purr-data-jgu repo
linked to above.

Thanks,

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/