[L2Ork-dev] GSOC - Audio Plugins

Gabriela Bittencourt gabrielabittencourt00 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 12:27:13 EDT 2021

On 26/03/2021 15:04, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 5:36 AM Gabriela Bittencourt
> <gabrielabittencourt00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> My name is Gabriela and I'm super interested in an old proposal of Purr
>> data for GSOC, the Interaction with Audio Plugins. Is the proposal still
>> up?
>>
>> I've found a lot from vst and ladspa in the purr data tree and not so
>> much from lv2, so I imagine that's still an open task haha :D
>>
>> I'm very familiarized with Pure Data - I've used it in a project and I
>> amuse myself with some experimental music, and I would love to see some
>> of my patches as plugins. Most recently I've started playing with Purr
>> Data and Cycling74’s Max (to see their features and what could be
>> brought to Purr Data). As a free software enthusiast and a pd lover I
>> would love to contribute to this project.
>>
>> I'll start to make some small contributions to warm up with the code, if
>> anyone has suggestions to study or more complex contributions related to
>> audio plugins, let me know
>>
>> PS: I've found this similar project for pd that may relate to our goals:
>> https://github.com/pierreguillot/Camomile (and could possibly be a
>> baseline for part of my contribution. What do you think?).
> Hello Gabriela,
>
> Welcome!
>
> I would check prior art for the plugin project idea. For example, it
> appears that
> Camomile fits your use case of turning your patches into plugins. There is
> probably an external library in Pd Vanilla dealing with lv2 plugins.

Hey, I've found this external for pd:
https://bitbucket.org/agraef/pd-lv2plugin.git I'm still working on the
installation, so I haven't test it yet, but I think this would be more
related to instantiating lv2 plugins inside purr-data (while Camomile
would be more useful to transform the purr-data into a plugin).

Is the pd-lv2plugin a good start for this task?

> What kind of features did you find in Max/MSP that would be useful in Purr Data?

For me the feature that would most improve the workflow of coding in
purr-data is the autocomplete when creating new objects (list of fuzzy
suggestions with quick description).

Max autocompletion

The engine of the search could be done using a fuzzy finder (like this
project: https://github.com/junegunn/fzf).

That's an optional project that I would also be willing to do. Do you
think that it would be interesting to the community and feasible?

(Is it the elasticlunr -
https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/-/blob/master/pd/nw/elasticlunr.js
- an attempt for this or did I completely misunderstood here?)