[L2Ork-dev] json?

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 11:22:50 EST 2021

> There's 96 items in /usr/lib/pd/extra (most of them are folders, some
are symlinks), so to get access to all installed libraries I would have
to add as many entries into Pd paths dialog?

1. If you want to be able to load those libraries using [declare],
just make sure you have /usr/lib/pd/extra in the startup path.

2. If you want to be able to load those libraries as
[libname/objname]-- which I would recommend as good practice-- do the
same as step 1.

3. If you really want to load every single library in
/usr/lib/pd/extra automatically at startup, then you absolutely must
add every one of those paths and libs in the way you've stated. That's
a really bad practice-- it increases startup time for no gain, and
probably creates all kinds of namespace clashes depending on the
startup order you specified. (You're also betting that none of those
externals have a crasher or memory error in the setup routine-- as
someone who has tried to automate testing for Pd externals over the
years I certainly wouldn't take that bet.)