[L2Ork-dev] json?

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Sun Jan 24 10:06:18 EST 2021

Sadly for now I can't use Purr-Data because it doesn't seem to include
an easy method to add and load externals. Maybe I don't understand
something...

Back to Pd Vanilla (0.50.2 from Ubuntu Studio); I installed Pd with all
available external packages, all of them now living under
/usr/lib/pd/extra in their own sub-folders, including the purest-json
library.

When I started Pd for the first time it proposed to create a user folder
for patches and externals; it created a $HOME/Documents/Pd folder with
en empty externals sub-folder.

It also created :

- a $HOME/.pdsettings file that includes a path1 entry (with
$HOME/Documents/Pd/externals)

- a $HOME/.config/Pd/org.puredata.pd.pd-gui folder with dekenpath.conf
and docspath.conf

I tried to add /usr/lib/pd/extra as a second path for externals, but it
did not work because most (if not all) external are in subfolders...

There's 96 items in /usr/lib/pd/extra (most of them are folders, some
are symlinks), so to get access to all installed libraries I would have
to add as many entries into Pd paths dialog? I refuse!!

My quick and dirty solution:

cd $HOME/Documents/Pd/externals

find /usr/lib/pd/extra/ -type f -name "*.pd_linux" -exec ln -sf "{}" . \;

It works!

But frankly, in terms of usability, it's a mess, enough to incite most
lambda users to prefer Max/MSP.

I hoped that Purr-Data was a better alternative to Pd Vanilla. I wanted
to use it in a workshop for people bringing their laptop running either
Ubuntu, OSX or Windows. So if there's something I'm missing, any help
would be appreciated.

Marc