[L2Ork-dev] Feedback on GSOC draft proposal

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 14:10:42 EDT 2021

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 6:25 AM Tanmay Gujar <tanmaygujar999 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have slightly changed my approach towards building the Terminal REPL. Majorly, I plan to build on top of libpd instead of working with a socket connection to pd.

You can do that, but we don't currently ship libpd with Purr Data.
(It's in the emscripten branch but even there most of the Web
App<->Backend communication doesn't use it.)

Furthermore, the socket connection would work for both for a "-nogui"
console-based REPL *and* for opening up a REPL somewhere in the GUI
(say, a chat window in the Pd Window, or possibly in a canvas window,
too.)

> Over the past few days I have been working on a prototype of the same (available at https://github.com/tgujar/pd-REPL). It is by no means complete and I am still working on it. However, it has allowed me to work out some pd specific issues in implementing the REPL. I have documented these in the Inference section in the README.

Interesting!

I'm not sure what you mean by this: "No delete function in Pd Internal
Messages." There is glist_delete for removing an object from a canvas
and freeing it. Internally it uses gobj_delete which simply calls the
class destructor. glist_delete is in g_canvas.h. So if you just add
something like an x_repl.c and x_repl.h to the core you can easily
access that function.

-Jonathan