[L2Ork-dev] issues on rasbian 9/10

Marten Seedorf marten.seedorf at mailbox.org
Thu Apr 8 08:21:40 EDT 2021

Hey everyone,

working on a sound installation with purr-data on the raspberry pi I encountered some issues that might be worth mentioning.

I installed the recent rasperry pi os (~ raspbian 10 buster) on a raspberry pi 3B and installed purr-data from Albert Gräfs repositories on opensuse.org. The installation went smoothly, but the audio engine (alsa) didn't work. All I got was a high pitched, distorted noise. I tried to use jack, but strangely it wasn't able to communicate with the audio hardware via alsa as well. So it seems that the issue is rather in the OS than in Purr Data. But: PD Vanilla is working perfectly fine (directly with alsa, without jack).

I went back to Raspbian 9 Stretch and installed Purr-Data from the latest pre-build deb.-package I could find (2.10.1). That worked great.

I became curious and installed Purr-Data on stretch from the opensuse-repositories (Raspbian 9) and encountered the same issues as in buster.

So in the end, I found a solution that works for me. Still I figure there could be something wrong with the repositories.

Best,
Marten