[L2Ork-dev] GSOC 2021 Introduction and queries

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 17:56:35 EDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 4:13 AM Tanmay Gujar <tanmaygujar999 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello I am Tanmay! I am a recently accepted student to the MS CSE program at UCSD. I am interested in contributing to purr-data and plan to submit a proposal for GSOC 2021.

Hello, Tanmay

Welcome!

> Specifically, I would like to work on the Terminal REPL project. I have been looking through the source code to find an appropriate way to execute the idea but I have hit a few roadblocks.
>
> Thoughts so far:
> For communication between pd and the REPL I plan to use Internal pd messages as described on the Puredata info page and also in the purr-data Repo.
>
> I have managed to open a socket connection using nodeJS and I am able to send operations to pd using the [netreceive] object.
>
> Issue:
> When I run pd with the nogui flag, as users would when using an embedded device, and send operations to it, the process exits with the message
> Pd: signal 6.
> What could be the potential problem?

Hm, I've never seen that before. What happens if you run it normally?
Do you still get the error?

> Feedback on approach:
> Is this an appropriate approach to bridging the gap between the REPL and pd. i.e the REPL interface would be an abstraction over the Internal Pd message interface.

Yes, that should work.

The main question is-- once you can type messages to Pd and get
message "pd menunew;" to the backend and get a blank canvas to open.
But in terms of using a REPL that is not particularly useful nor
well-named as a command. So you'd need to figure out a set of use
cases for the REPL, and design the interface so that it is easy to use
for those cases.

-Jonathan