[L2Ork-dev] upcoming: 2.14.1

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Sep 18 11:29:26 EDT 2020

On 9/18/2020 11:16 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> However, how would you prevent it from adversely affecting the aforesaid scenario?
> It's a boolean canvas method, so you turn it off if you don't want
> that behavior (opt out).
>
> "tabfocus 1" -> canvas = navigate iemguis, gatom, etc in runmode using tab
> "tabfocus 0" -> canvas = don't do that
>
> Having it be on by default would be nice because the user can click
> `<tab>` to discover that it works to focus gui objects in runmode.
>
> Downside would be that it breaks patches that currently use `<tab>`.
> But if we have an "Edit" menu option for it unbreaking them is easily
> discoverable, too.
>
> Finally, patches that want their own `<tab>` behavior can turn it off
> the tabfocus by calling the method "tabfocus 0" directly with
> `[loadbang]`
>
> -Jonathan

I like that but would in addition also propose something like shift+tab
to enter the mode and then continue tabbing through by pressing just
tab, so that you don't have to even pass a message to the canvas.

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 11:06 AM Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

>>> I don't disagree that it would not be potentially useful. However, how
>>> would you prevent it from adversely affecting the aforesaid scenario?
>>> Perhaps press shift+tab to get started and then you get exclusive
>>> focus in this mode and freely tab by pressing just tab until you Esc
>>> out of it? I could see that being useful. Plain tab to enter it would
>>> result in a lot of unwanted positives.
>> That last sentence did not sound right. I meant "false positives" but
>> you probably already got that :-)

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Director, Creativity + Innovation
Co-Director, Human Centered Design iPhD
Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology

Virginia Tech
Creative Technologies in Music
School of Performing Arts – 0141
Blacksburg, VA 24061