[L2Ork-dev] upcoming: 2.14.1

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Sep 18 11:05:02 EDT 2020

On 9/18/2020 10:54 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:49 AM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tab could be also used in run mode for some activity (as it is in L2Ork
>> Tweeter, for instance) and hijacking it would interrupt the interaction
>> flow.
>>
>> There's a huge usability boon to allowing the user to change focus
>> using tab in runmode, just as there is in a browser when filling out a
>> form. We need a simple way to allow the user to do this so that, for
>> example, they can traverse a column of gatoms to quickly update many
>> different values. That's been a recurring feature request in Vanilla,
>> and users go to a lot of trouble hacking the GUI->Pd system in order
>> to simulate it.
> Just to give an idea of how critical this is-- there's some weird
> arraylistview dialog
> in Vanilla that is terribly designed and almost impossible to use.
> E.g., when you
> highlight a value in the column of inputs, the value disappears! Yet
> when I asked
> on the list about removing it in Purr Data, people complained because
> it was the
> *best* way they could quickly enter a bunch of values for an array
> with the keyboard.
> This is because tk by default allowed tab focus among those inputs.

I see. But that is a dialog not canvas traversal? When in dialog, key
presses should be captured by the canvas anymore, so this makes perfect
sense there.

> -Jonathan

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Director, Creativity + Innovation
Co-Director, Human Centered Design iPhD
Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology

Virginia Tech
Creative Technologies in Music
School of Performing Arts – 0141
Blacksburg, VA 24061