[L2Ork-dev] upcoming: 2.14.1

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Sep 18 11:03:43 EDT 2020

On 9/18/2020 10:49 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

>> Tab could be also used in run mode for some activity (as it is in L2Ork
> Tweeter, for instance) and hijacking it would interrupt the interaction
> flow.
>
> There's a huge usability boon to allowing the user to change focus
> using tab in runmode, just as there is in a browser when filling out a
> form. We need a simple way to allow the user to do this so that, for
> example, they can traverse a column of gatoms to quickly update many
> different values. That's been a recurring feature request in Vanilla,
> and users go to a lot of trouble hacking the GUI->Pd system in order
> to simulate it.
>
> We could just add a "tabfocus" method to glists. When it's on tab can
> be used to traverse focus of gui elements with the keyboard. I'd argue
> to have it on by default.

I don't disagree that it would not be potentially useful. However, how
would you prevent it from adversely affecting the aforesaid scenario?
Perhaps press shift+tab to get started and then you get exclusive focus
in this mode and freely tab by pressing just tab until you Esc out of
it? I could see that being useful. Plain tab to enter it would result in
a lot of unwanted positives.