[L2Ork-dev] snap-to-grid

Mario Sottile - Marionetas Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 09:20:29 EDT 2020

> Attached is a prototype of the "snap to grid" feature. (The default
> output format was mkv-- let me know if you can't read it.)
mkv rules ;)

> You can see when I try to position the object at (0, 0) why inkscape
> allows free displacement between the gridelines. Otherwise, the user
> loses responsiveness when trying to "park" the object at a given snap
> position. However, it still seems quite usable without that feature.

Again, I don't complettly understand you, but I'll give you my opinion,
anyway. I think Inkscape snap-to function works as a magnet. When you
get the object close enough to something, it sticks to it. This is
because Inkscape has several snap-to options. So, if Inkscape wouldn't
be like this, if you check snap-to-guidelines only, objects would only
move along guidelines, glued to it. Then, you have to turn it off to go
on designing. So, with "magnet" mode, you can design with this option
turned on with no problem and still be able to snap to guides.

Purr, for the moment, would have only snap-to-grid. So, if you want an
object in 0.5, 0.5, you should be able to do it with arrow keys.

> Also note: the editmode grid is offset by five pixels. Now that we
> have snapping, I *think* users will want to align the snap points to
> the gridlines. So I'll need to change the grid line placement.
Yes, I also will want to.