[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data: File / Print... PDF

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:36:00 EDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 6:46 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Regardless, the problem is that this is a blocking javascript call. So
> it won't matter where you make the call from.

Ok, I see. Somehow I assumed that JS had some form of multithreading, which
it doesn't. So any kind of JS code that executes for some time will cause
this issue.

However, the dialog that pops up for sending a message to pd is also
> blocking. Does that cause the backend to hang up as well?

Yep, exactly the same thing, on Linux at least. After running File/Message
(Ctrl+M), the watchdog signals exactly two times, then I get that SIGHUP in
the select() call. On the command line it prints:

watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...
recv: Interrupted system call (4)

The only way to prevent that is to use Jack as the backend. (Which is what
I normally do on Linux, therefore I've never noticed this bug before.) With
Jack the watchdog keeps signalling while the JS callback is running, but no
SIGHUP, so everything goes back to normal once the JS callback is done
executing.

It doesn't happen on Mac or Windows either. So it looks like this is
actually tripped by something in the (ALSA/OSS) audio backend code on
Linux. It doesn't matter whether DSP is on or off either, and even happens
if no ALSA/OSS devices are configured at all.

I see that there are some fairly recent code changes in sys_domicrosleep()
in vanilla, though. I'll port those and see whether that helps.

Albert

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/