[L2Ork-dev] MacOS: error opening audio: Unanticipated host error

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:30:00 EDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 9:20 AM Leslie, Grace <grace.leslie at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Dear list,
>

> We are currently using Purr-data in our undergraduate Audio Tech course. One of my students suddenly received an error upon startup after successfully using the software for several weeks: “error opening audio: Unanticipated host error”

Thanks to the odd wording of the error...

git clone https://github.com/PortAudio/portaudio.git && cd portaudio
&& grep -r Unanticipated

This is indeed an error reported by PortAudio. They even have a nice
little variable named paUnanticipatedHostError.

Does this error essentially just prevent audio input/output? Or does
it keep Purr Data from running altogether?

Also, what are your other audio API options in the Audio Preferences tab?

-Jonathan