[L2Ork-dev] request for mentorship: linux build environments

Sam Thursfield samthursfield at pm.me
Mon Oct 19 11:57:55 EDT 2020

Hello!

On Monday, 19 October 2020 17:34, Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.  Is LXD the standard way to create Linux containers which I'll be
>     actively developing with? (I.e., I'll be adding arbitrary amounts of
>     state to the container.) It looks nice but I can't tell if this is
>     just some needless wrapper that Canonical is pushing all over Google
>     searches. (And boy are they doing that!)

I don't think it is. I had to Google what it is :)
If I have a container workflow, I often simply use `podman run` or `docker run` with these args:

    --uidmap=0:1000:1000 -i -t --mount type=bind,source=/home/,destination=/var/home

This maps 'root' in the container to my UID, and makes my home directory available under /var/home.

I have also looked into Toolbox which looks like a good way to manage multiple dev containers: https://github.com/containers/toolbox

Toolbox is a Redhat project so it may or may not work well on Ubuntu right now...

> 2.  Is there a way to run Purr Data inside the container but have the GUI usable?

It's possible, using X11 forwarding. It's not always easy. Toolbox is supposed to handle this for you. Or you can do it yourself by doing some magic with the .Xauthority file which I can't tell you off the top of my head, but Google can probably suggest various options :)

Sam