[L2Ork-dev] request for mentorship: linux build environments

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:34:46 EDT 2020

Albert and Sam,

I just got a handle on linux containers. To me, this is the missing
link for getting Linux dependency management right in Purr Data.
Essentially, the containers let me quickly create and destroy build
environments. Since nobody outside of guix/nix even has transactional
package management, that has been an enormous pain on the bare metal
for Gnu/Linux. (Funny enough, I find msys2 a dream compared to Linux
because it is cordoned off from the rest of the OS.)

2 questions:

1. Is LXD the standard way to create Linux containers which I'll be
actively developing with? (I.e., I'll be adding arbitrary amounts of
state to the container.) It looks nice but I can't tell if this is
just some needless wrapper that Canonical is pushing all over Google
searches. (And boy are they doing that!)

2. Is there a way to run Purr Data inside the container but have the GUI usable?

Best,
Jonathan