[L2Ork-dev] CI and runners

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:42:50 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Ok, I think I've got my dev environment back in order. So I'm ready to
start drilling down on CI and runners.

Here's my conceptual starting point for a runner:

1. I download some docker image for, say, Ubuntu 20.04.

2. I go ahead and install all the necessary dependencies for building
Purr Data on that image, plus doing update/upgrade on it.

3. I set it up through gitlab-runner using the docker executor.

4. Either manually or through a cron job, I set up some periodic
update/upgrade for that image.

5. I leverage Sam's changes which cache the nw.js binary on the host.

Sam-- is this possible? It seems that a lot of CI flows have the
bandwidth and CPU power to just fetch a new image and prepare it each
time CI gets triggered, but that seems like it would eat substantial
time and put us back where we started.

No hurry on that-- I still need to play around with docker and follow
your instructions you added to the guide. And in the meantime I'll be
moving the Windows runner to a more capable machine which should
improve things substantially.

Best,
Jonathan