[L2Ork-dev] GSoC 2020

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:16:24 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 5:35 PM Guillem Bartrina Moreno
<guillembartrina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> My name is Guillem and I'm a 3rd year computer science student from Spain. I was looking for an interesting project to be involved in this summer when I found the Purr Data project. I have never worked with Purr Data or something similar but I'm very excited to start working with it.
> Two ideas have caught my attention:
> - Terminal REPL
> - Encapsulation Ergonomics
>
> I have already read the "Getting Started" documentation and installed Purr Data in my computer. Also, i have tried to understand the internal structure of the program by looking at the source code.
>
> I have medium-high understanding of C/C++ and OpenGL but almost zero idea about HTML5 and javascript.
>
> I would like to choose a suitable idea based on my skillset. Also, it will be great if you could provide me some entry point or challenge to start getting familiar with the tasks related to the ideas I mentioned above and how Purr Data works in general.
>
> Thank you!
> I look forward for your response.
>
> PD: Meow!
> --
> Guillem Bartrina

Hello Guillem,

Welcome!

It is possible to implement the terminal REPL project idea without
touching any of the HTML5 code.

The encapsulation ergonomics idea would require at least some
interaction with the GUI. For example,
you might need to add a menu item/keyboard shortcut so the user can
trigger one of the methods you
add. Also, you'll need to become familiar with a lot of the evaluator
and loader internals if you want to
tackle the problem of creating abstractions that don't require separate files.

In either case you'll want to become familiar with the basic GUI
interaction and learn a bit from reading
the manual for control objects.

Finally, if you peruse the codebase and come up with your own project
idea, let us know and we'll be
happy to help you with that.

As for getting familiar with the codebase-- I made a little guide here
that you can start with:

https://www.purrdata.net/participate.html

You can start there, and feel free to continue posting here if you
have any questions.

Good luck and we look forward to reading your application!

Best,
Jonathan