[L2Ork-dev] Creating a unique identifier for each pd client

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:58:43 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:22 PM Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> Any ideas on how to generate a unique ID to each client without manual
> user interaction and in a way that is platform-agnostic? I imagine one
> could leverage client's network MAC address or unique computer
> identifier but am unaware of how this can be retrieved in an OS-agnostic
> way inside pd-l2ork/purr-data.

If you have a centralized server then the server can go the same route as
the implementation of dollarsign zero and increment a global var for each
new client.

If the client needs to generate the id themselves then you can have each
client use a random number generator to assign themselves an ID.

There's also an ID buried in each installation of Chromium that is unique
for that installation. (One of many good reasons I start Purr Data with a
flag to Chromium that ties it to a chair and duck tapes its mouth shut. :)

-Jonathan