[L2Ork-dev] GSOC 2020

Alia Morsi morsi.alia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 18:22:42 EDT 2020

Hello! my comments and questions are inline to your past email.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 4:31 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 5:33 AM Alia Morsi <morsi.alia at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >

> > I’m a master student at the moment, and have software development
> experience in my past life. I would like to participate in GSOC 2020 with
> purr data, which I had used in one of the master courses.
> >

> > I’m considering those options:
> >
> > Vintage Platform Audio Emulation Library
> >
> > and
> >
> > Interaction with Audio Plugins
> >

> > I would like to choose based on which would be feasible to implement
> given my skillset, and therefore It would be great if the potential
> mentor/s contact me to have a little discussion.
> >

> > Please reach out!
> >

> Hello Alia Morsi,
>
> Welcome!
>
> A general starting point would be to create a fork of Purr Data at
> git.purrdata.net. Then compile Purr Data
> for your OS using the guide here:
>
> https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data#build-guide
>
> Once you have that running pick one of the issues labeled
> "good-first-bug" to get experience
> making a feature branch, touching the code, fixing the bug, and making
> a merge request in
> Gitlab. That will show you the basic process by which we develop Purr Data.

Done :)

> For the audio emulation library, I left a single piece of prior art in the
> repo.
>
> Once you've cloned the Purr Data repo, have a look at
> purr-data/externals/mmonoplayer
> and see if you can figure out how to compile that C source file to
> create an external binary
> for Purr Data. It's a bit tricky given there is no build script or
> help file. But I think it's a good exercise to
> have a look at the interface for that class and play around with it in
> Purr Data. Also, you'll probably
> run into a lot of prior art like this which has minimal
> documentation/build scripts. :)

I did attempt to build it. At the end, an atari2600~.pd_darwin file is
created. But, although I put it in the same directory as a .pd file, I
still can’t create an atari_2600~ object (this is the exact symbol used in
gensym in the atari2600~.c file, so I was hoping it would work)

To create the Makefile, I used the template/ external folder as a starting
point. I hardcoded the include paths of pd headers in the Makefile (bad.. I
know), and deleted some clang compiler flags.

I’m a bit stuck where I’m not sure if the reason it’s not loading is due to
a mistake in my editing of the Makefile itself, or due to another rookie
error I could have made. btw get a link warning that says “ld: warning:
directory not found for option '-L/sw/lib'”. While I don’t know exactly
what that means, I thought I’d put it here in case it is indeed what’s
causing the problem.

> Some questions:
>
> Would you want to use mostly Pd abstractions or external compiled
> binaries for the library? Lots of
> trade-offs there with speed, rapid prototyping, readability, etc.
>

> I’m inclined to choose external compiled binaries, but I’m quite flexible.
> I guess this would be the choice of better speed, slower prototyping, and
> worse readability (if I understand the tradeoffs correctly).

> What should the interfaces look like? You can have signal i/o, control
> input with signal output, a mixture,
> etc. Is there a common interface that may be reused within the library?
>
> Do you mean, what would be a suitable interface through which many of the
devices in mind could be adapted? I believe an approach to answer this
question would be to find a generalization after emulating a couple of
devices, if I understand correctly, so I don't have a concrete answer to
this now.

Also, I’ve used none of such vintage devices, so what would the process of
emulating them be like? I am hoping that through their spec sheets I can
get started. but are there any other resources you recommend?

If you're interested in that project then hopefully that's enough to