[L2Ork-dev] GSOC 2020

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 10:31:34 EST 2020

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 5:33 AM Alia Morsi <morsi.alia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I’m a master student at the moment, and have software development experience in my past life. I would like to participate in GSOC 2020 with purr data, which I had used in one of the master courses.
>

> I’m considering those options:
>
> Vintage Platform Audio Emulation Library
>
> and
>
> Interaction with Audio Plugins
>

> I would like to choose based on which would be feasible to implement given my skillset, and therefore It would be great if the potential mentor/s contact me to have a little discussion.
>

> Please reach out!

Hello Alia Morsi,

Welcome!

A general starting point would be to create a fork of Purr Data at
git.purrdata.net. Then compile Purr Data
for your OS using the guide here:

https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data#build-guide

Once you have that running pick one of the issues labeled
"good-first-bug" to get experience
making a feature branch, touching the code, fixing the bug, and making
a merge request in
Gitlab. That will show you the basic process by which we develop Purr Data.

For the audio emulation library, I left a single piece of prior art in the repo.

Once you've cloned the Purr Data repo, have a look at
purr-data/externals/mmonoplayer
and see if you can figure out how to compile that C source file to
create an external binary
for Purr Data. It's a bit tricky given there is no build script or
help file. But I think it's a good exercise to
have a look at the interface for that class and play around with it in
Purr Data. Also, you'll probably
run into a lot of prior art like this which has minimal
documentation/build scripts. :)

Some questions:

Would you want to use mostly Pd abstractions or external compiled
binaries for the library? Lots of
trade-offs there with speed, rapid prototyping, readability, etc.

What should the interfaces look like? You can have signal i/o, control
input with signal output, a mixture,
etc. Is there a common interface that may be reused within the library?

If you're interested in that project then hopefully that's enough to
get started.

Feel free to post any more questions you may have here to the list.

Jonathan