[L2Ork-dev] Current HEAD of Purr Data is broken

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:16:27 EDT 2020

Sorry, I missed these remarks earlier.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I can confirm running HEAD against a local 0.46.3 nw.js on aarch64
> does indeed work to load and display patches.

Have you tried  the Help - About Pd-L2ork menu entry?

What do I need to add to the contributor's guide to make it clear what
> a desirable merge request branch should look like?

I guess you're talking about workflow here? That is, rebasing and squashing
commits so that you present your feature branch a.k.a. merge request as
simple and comprehensible as possible, with a clean and logical commit
history. There's a lot that goes into that  process and much of it is
common sense -- but you'd probably have to replicate half the Git Book to
explain these things really thoroughly.

However, the main failure in this case IMHO was that there weren't enough
eyeballs looking at this "patchset from hell", before the changes were
merged into master. A call for help on the mailing list goes a long way
there, explaining what the new set of changes is about, what parts of the
program might be affected, and what needs to be tested. I did notice the
flurry of commits, but I wasn't sure what they were about and didn't have
the time to look into them. I would certainly have tried to give a helping
hand in testing, though, when asked about it in the manner described. ;-)
(Or maybe I missed that call, then I have to apologize.)

Albert