[L2Ork-dev] Current HEAD of Purr Data is broken

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:19:14 EDT 2020

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for clearing that up. I've rebuilt the package with 0.46.3 now (on
Arch x86_64). Most simple patches load and work fine with it, but lots of
the more advanced stuff is broken. E.g., the About patch comes up empty and
(adding insult to injury) the window cannot be closed any more, giving the
error message shown in the screenshot:

[image: image.png]

In fact, drawing of data structures seems to be completely broken (not just
the purr-data svg drawing extensions, but plain old vanilla data
structures, too).

Gem also stopped working. Even the most basic examples crash Purr Data
(segfault) as soon as you try to create a Gem window.

This is all stuff that worked fine in rev. 4b7b73cd from 2 weeks ago.

I hate to say it, but these latest changes are not ready for prime time
yet. IMHO, they absolutely need to be moved back to their own feature
branch and tested out *much* more thoroughly before they can be merged
again. Right now, if anyone wants to try the latest from the master branch,
she can only conclude that Purr Data is broken (at least on Linux, I didn't
do any testing on Mac or Windows). That's not the impression we want to
give, do we?

I can understand that you want to move on with these things, but if a
changeset is highly experimental and carries with it so much potential for
breakage, then it needs to be given some serious regression testing. Please
don't break the master branch, that's what feature branches are for. ;-)

To get us out of here quickly and easily, you might just branch off a new
"stable" branch at rev. 4b7b73cd and present that as our new official main
branch to users (and also turn that inthe default branch of the repo)?
Whereas "master" will become our development branch?

Albert