[L2Ork-dev] Bunch of commits and a merge request from my branch

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:48:33 EDT 2020

Yeah, git can be a big pita, we've all been through that hell before. :)

The simple recipe to stay sane when using git along with a merge and pull
request system like on Github, Gitlab et al (which *is* very convenient
when used properly), is this:

1. Create a separate branch for *each and every* merge request. *Never* use
the master branch for that, as you'll need it to stay in sync with upstream
for the final rebase and squash.

2. Just keep committing and pushing to that branch until Jonathan is happy.
:)

3. When Jonathan is happy and asks you to tidy up your branch, rebase it on
the current master (which usually *will* have progressed since you created
your branch) and maybe squash your commits (`git rebase -i') to tidy up the
history of your changeset. Force-push the branch with `git push -f`. That
way the history stays as clean and as linear as possible, which is always a
good thing (TM).

4. Jonathan merges your request and happiness ensues. ;-)

At least that's the workflow I've learned and have been happy with. I don't
think that this is written down somewhere, but it's tried and proven, and
it's just how everybody does it.

HTH,
Albert

Email: aggraef at gmail.com, web: https://agraef.github.io/