[L2Ork-dev] Current HEAD of Purr Data is broken

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 22:20:18 EDT 2020

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 6:06 PM Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 11:46 PM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I'll do some profiling on that branch and see if I can improve it
>> enough to make it usable on my Pinebook Pro.
>

> Interesting. That's the new one, right? I've been thinking about buying one of these, too. If I recall correctly, you've been testing on a chromebook previously, how does it compare to that?

Not much compares to the Asus C201. For the price it is one of the
most impressive pieces of hardware I've ever seen. They advertise 13
hours of battery life, and that's about right. It never gets hot even
when infinite scrolling through Reddit's insanely wasteful site, or
using Zoom. The touchpad quality leads me to believe it was put
together by professional humans with hands and fingers that connect to
the domain expertise in their brains.

Plus you could drop it into a classroom of budding sociopaths and it
will still be working at the end of the day.

The Pinebook Pro is less capable. It's good enough for browsing the
web, watching videos, and developing. But it gets
hot enough using Zoom that the students seem to have learned to
anticipate my periodic disappearances. Also the
touchpad is crap. But someone has been reverse engineering it so there
may be a fix for it (unless it's the hardware
itself).

But it appears to have pretty decent Linux support-- it looks like
Debian supports it now.

-Jonathan