[L2Ork-dev] Current HEAD of Purr Data is broken

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Jul 2 16:20:59 EDT 2020

On 7/2/2020 3:36 AM, Albert Graef wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 4:05 AM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
> <mailto:jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     We can't ship a release that takes an order of magnitude longer to
>     load patches. We'll need to spend some serious
>     time in devTools profiling this, and getting load time back down
>     to reasonable levels before releasing.
>

> I fully agree with that. Ico's patchset looks very interesting and
> promising, but it's obvious that it needs more work. So let's move it
> back into a separate feature branch for now, where work can continue
> on it without blocking everything and everyone else.

Allow me to repeat, my patches have nothing to do with the slowdown. If
anything, they speed certain aspects up, including the way the
scrollbars are updated, particularly with the top-level plots, and most
recently the removal of the legacy topmost reordering which may need to
be revisited later.

This is a slowdown in nw.js. I am not sure where but it is there. Try
downloading the latest "stable" 2.11.0 release, run L2Ork Tweeter, or
some other GUI-heavy patch, and then try the same by replacing the nw
folder with the 0.46 or 0.47 and you will see that it opens up
significantly slower. As Jonathan suggested, this needs to be profiled
to figure out what is the bottleneck and then find a different approach
and/or report it upstream for the nw folks to address/explain.

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Director, Creativity + Innovation
Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology

Virginia Tech
Creative Technologies in Music
School of Performing Arts – 0141
Blacksburg, VA 24061