[L2Ork-dev] Potential Gem bug?

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 06:29:08 EDT 2019

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 5:48 PM Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just checked out the latest Gem (0.94 branch) by doing:
>
> git clone https://git.code.sf.net/p/pd-gem/gem pd-gem-gem
>
> When starting pd-l2ork, it segfaults with the following backtrace. Any
> idea what may be wrong? Is this a stable branch?

I remember seeing this as well quite some time ago. All I can say right now
is that I'm currently testing a fairly recent revision of Gem with
purr-data under Arch and it seems to work fine. I still have to test the
latest Gem release, though.

Also, on a related note, I am wondering how come the git submodule inside
> pd-l2ork still pulls 0.93 when the command above does 0.94?

IIRC, that was because both Jonathan and I experienced various issues with
newer revisions (including the aforementioned segfault on Linux), and we
didn't have any time to look into those. But that was quite some time ago,
so it might be a good idea to have another go at it. That's also why I
quietly started testing newer Gem revisions on my own laptop running Arch,
but of course we'll also have to test on Debian+friends and Windows before
we can update Gem in the official repo. If we can get both Linux and
Windows working, the next step would be to try and see whether Gem already
works on 64 bit OSX as well. I believe that IOhannes has done quite some
work on the macos side of Gem recently, but I don't know what the current
state is -- maybe he can comment on that himself.

In any case, Gem is a very important piece in the Pd ecosystem, so it's
worth putting some effort into making it work really well with pd-l2ork and
purr-data. If anyone here can give a helping hand with this, please do!

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com