[L2Ork-dev] Potential Gem bug?

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 14:27:03 EDT 2019

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com> wrote:

[..]

> Also, on a related note, I am wondering how come the git submodule inside pd-l2ork still pulls 0.93 when the command above does 0.94?

That is the version we pinned which was known to work on Windows/Linux
at the time. At that time, I
couldn't compile a working version of Gem as a 64-bit binary using
homebrew on OSX 64-bit.

We only build Purr Data as a 64-bit application on OSX. Given that we
will soon drop support for old OSX versions with the
upgrade of the nw.js GUI toolkit, I would be opposed to spending time
trying to get Purr Data to build as a 32-bit binary on OSX
just to support Gem.

So the requirements for changing the version of Gem we ship are:

* get it to build and run as a 64-bit binary on OSX
* test to make sure it works on Windows and Linux, too
* on OSX, only use currently available homebrew package dependencies
to get it to compile
* must use vanilla version of Gem-- no patches or other unmaintainable
changes to our build process
* mirror the code at git.purrdata.net so we don't depend on external
repos to do builds/CI
* pin to a version that has been tested to work (but from there we can
certainly upgrade, test and release
as newer versions become available)
* while we're at it, move toplevel Gem directory to externals/Gem

If you go down that route let me know if you need help testing, building, etc.