[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data 2.6.0

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 06:13:17 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:48 AM Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure how it would override anything it shouldn't.
>

> Well, CFLAGS is set up in meticulous detail in externals/Makefile, but
> looking at the build logs I'm still not seeing a CFLAGS="-DPD_FLOATSIZE=64"
> in the environment being picked up *anywhere* by the externals during a
> regular build. Presumably that's because in tar_em_up.sh, we're running
> `make install` right away without doing a `make` first, and the install
> targets in externals/Makefile don't pass on CFLAGS to submakes anyway.

That's not really true. I overlooked that `all` is in the prerequisites of
the `install` target after all. And in fact all those options in the CFLAGS
of externals/Makefile *are* needed, otherwise lots of stuff doesn't compile
any more.

But I finally found a way to pass the extra options reliably and without
messing with any of the existing options. Whether CFLAGS is actually heeded
by all the external targets is another matter; I sure hope so, but we can
only be certain if someone (not me) sifts through the build log (and
possibly some of the Makefiles for targets where the buildlog doesn't
reveal this). But at least I have a full double precision build working
now. I had to put autotune and smlib on the blacklist for double precision,
though; apparently these haven't been ported yet. I also still need to
check the double precision build of Gem.

I'm currently testing this on Linux, expect a pull request later today or
tomorrow.

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com