[L2Ork-dev] Purr Data 2.6.0

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 21:00:26 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:45 AM Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 4:47 AM Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You should be able to do this currently:
>>
>> CFLAGS="-DPD_FLOATSIZE=64" make light
>

> Ok, I see. I'm a bit worried, though, that this might override existing CFLAGS which are all over the place. So my idea is to add something like an EXTRA_CFLAGS variable which will be included in the CFLAGS, and can be set freely as needed. I think that this should be relatively easy, I probably just need to look at the Makefiles in pd/src and externals, and maybe sort out the externals which haven't been ported yet, if there are any.

I'm not sure how it would override anything it shouldn't. But if you
have a less risky and more usable way to implement it, that's
fine by me.

> BTW, has Gem been ported to double already?

We currently ship an old version of Gem in Purr Data. It's enormous
and takes the longest time
to compile of any external library. I wasn't able to get an amd64
build to compile with Homebrew under OSX,
so we don't even ship Gem with OSX. Anyway, it certainly wasn't part
of the GSoC project to spend any time
dealing with Gem.

Having said that, I have no idea whether Gem will compile and run
correctly in double precision out of the box.
If you want to take a shot at testing, please let me know what the status is.

Adding more complication-- I *really* don't want to hack on top of the
old version we currently ship in an attempt
to make it work with double precision. I'd much rather any necessary
changes get upstreamed, and then get the
upstream version working on all platforms. I also don't use Gem at all
and do not want to become a Gem developer.
Having said all that I'll happily merge anything related to Gem that
improves the current mess.

>> Is it more ergonomic to roll that into a phony target?
>

> I'd think so. Maybe targets like `double`, `incremental-double` and `light-double`, so that we don't have to remember what the exact options are. :)
>
> I'll give it a whirl and see what I can do.

Sounds good to me.

> In the meantime, I've updated the JGU Arch packages, these are now at the latest revision. The Bionic package is currently building on Launchpad, so these should hopefully be available soon as well. Note that these are all single precision still. Once I've sorted out the build process for double precision, I'll do variants for the double version.

Also sounds good.

Thanks for the build help!

-Jonathan