[L2Ork-dev] PD_BIGORSMALL

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:05:14 EDT 2018

>> 4. Just curious-- why the choice of 0x20000000 for the cutoff?
>

> Because it's very fast and gets a reasonable range for high and low that are
> roughly inverse magnitude.

So technically, we have no macro to test for denormals. Instead, we have a
check for numbers past a given conservative threshold, and that check can be
used to keep most filters from ever arriving at denormal values. (Again, just
trying to be as precise as possible.)

Also, just for my own curiosity:
Suppose math.h did indeed have a fast-tracked issubnormal function.
Would that be sufficient to keep dsp algorithms from hitting a slow
branch? Or does a computation that results in a denormal (or even zeroing out a
denormal) cause a slow-path computation?