[L2Ork-dev] Regarding GSoC'18

Rishabh Jain f20140069 at goa.bits-pilani.ac.in
Tue Mar 27 01:00:11 EDT 2018

I've made some changes to the proposal.
Like you pointed it out, '  I'm still not exactly clear on the process by which
the ASCII art would be parsed and turned into a selection in a Purr Data
diagram. ',
for this my approach will be (in layman's terms):
- take and parse input (ascii art)
- divide this into subproblems (like extracting elements out of the ascii)
- calling particular C functions, to change it in a PD

With array's and C references, I meant the ''canonical' representation of
graph in C backend. Because of shortage of time, I was unable to read about
the C backend and PD graph representation. I believe my interpretition for
the same is quite wrong. I can't help it as it's almost the deadline now.
Instead, I've given more time to the API development project. I've been
thorough most of the JS codes here
<https://git.purrdata.net/aggraef/purr-data/tree/master/pd/nw>. And, since
I've already done API development before, I've made changes in proposal to
explain things related to this project, more clearly. My main approach
concludes as follows,
I'll add a middleware application (express.js) to the existing nw, node.js
server code. This middleware will give us the ability to tell Pd to load a
particular patch in the same directory as the web app (or perhaps using
Pd's search path), ability to close a Pd patch and all the other
requirements. Alongside, it will also allow our server to entertain more
complex API calls (get/post handlers of express will take care of this). By
this, we'll be leveraging the already present interface and will be
improving not only functionality but also performance, by many folds.
Further, for 'add a feature that allows a Pd Patch to send messages back to
the web app', the express app will take care of this too, by using
'res.send()' or similar functions. I'm quite certain about this approach
and Proof of concept for the same can be done in about a week or so.

Because of my inability to give the conversion project my full, and because
of my misinterpretations, I want to make API for HTML5
<https://git.purrdata.net/giuliomoro/summer-of-code-ideas-list#api-for-html5-web-apps>
as my main project. Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Despite my hard
efforts to make my proposal 'purr-fect', shortage of time became the
hindrance in making it possible.
Looking forward to hear from your side.
Thank you.

Regards,