[L2Ork-dev] Ad hoc parsers in Purr Data

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 01:15:46 EDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 3:00 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres
<porres at gmail.com> wrote:
> Like I said, there are other issues that compromise patch exchange. To name
> a couple: "$0" don't work inside messages in Vanilla; Vanilla does not have
> the "$@" syntax at all - and I'm sure there are a few more things.

These are documented as Pd-l2ork extensions and they can easily be
avoided to maintain compatibility with vanilla. I know this because
I'm exchanging non-trivial patches between the two all the time. And
as cyclone co-maintainer you know that, too.

The kind of incompatibility I'm worried about is changes in the
internals which break patch compatibility and which can *not* be
avoided. I'm pretty sure that this is at stake here, because we've
been down that alley before. Please review the thread "$0 weirdness"
on this mailing list (11-2015). Also, you left IOhannes' remark on the
Pd mailing list unanswered:

> before you start doing that, please detail your plan on how to not break
> all patches that rely on "#<number> from being expanded to "$<number>"

This *is* an issue that needs careful consideration. Breaking patch
compatibility with vanilla is a non-starter.

Of course, if there's a way to improve this for Purr Data users
without breaking vanilla patch compatibility then I'm all for it. I
don't see it, though. What can be done in this respect, Ico has
already done in 2015. But if you can prove me wrong then please do.
I'd be happy to review your pull request.

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com